Sunday, April 28, 2013
Hard Day
Its been a hard day today. I have a lot more to post from March and April, but I wanted to get this stuff down too. My friend died yesterday, but I got the phone call this morning as we were walking out the door to church. Cpt. Reid Nishizuka died in a plane crash in Afghanistan yesterday with 3 of his crew members. Reid was a pretty amazing guy. He was one of those people who EVERYONE loved. You couldn't be sad or angry when he was around, because he was never sad or angry. If I could pick one word to describe him, it would be happy. It kind has hit me hard. Well harder than I would have thought. We went to high school together, and his brother Chad was one of my best friends in the world, and Reid was only 2 years older, so we hung out, we did leadership and band together. I can honestly say he was my friend too, it wasn't just a "cause your my little brothers friend" thing. But Chad and I were definitely closer. But when I found out this morning I couldn't help but feel extremely sad. I last saw Reid about 4 years ago, we went to dinner when I was in Hawaii. We kept in touch in typical Facebook/high-school friend fashion. But the world has truly lost a special person, someone who really did make it better a place and the loss of that is so real and so heartbreaking, I am breathless at it. Seems like an over-reaction since we were not close as adults, especially in the last couple years, but it still feels that way. I have the gospel, and I am comfortable with the knowledge of where Reid is, and how this is not the end, but the loss is still there and still real for those of us left behind, if that makes sense to anyone. I know we will see each other again one day, its just going to seem a lot longer, since I can't just send him a message any more and make plans to meet up whenever I want. The possibility of him is gone. For now. He was young (30), and not married and so the thought there will be no little Reid's running around is very sad too. He would have been a great dad. He did ELTC (elementary leadership training camp) with me and he was really good with the kids, basically one himself. I am grateful I knew him, I am grateful for the example he was in my life and I am sorry that I did not tell him that before he died and that I didn't keep up the friendship as well as I would have liked. I am grateful for his service to our country, and for the sacrifice he, his brother, and his family have made on our behalf. He was truly one of the great ones. Aloha 'Oe Reid, Until We Meet Again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment